Lactate Testing - Questions
We find there are many misconceptions about lactate among both athletes and coaches and even in the academic world. This page is an attempt to clarify what is known about lactate, lactate metabolism, lactate testing and its appropriate use in the training of athletes. Within this entire web site there is probably the most detailed discussion of lactate on the internet. The discussion is even more extensive on the Secrets of Lactate CD-ROM.
This is a very extensive discussion. Just like a training plan, it cannot be put into one day. Click on the question below that you are interested in. You will be able to retrun to this list of questions at any time and go on to another question. Submit your own question and we will try to answer it.
- What causes the extreme bodily distress after all out efforts in short races?
- What is Lactate?
- What is Lactic Acid?
- Does lactate or lactic acid have anything to do with breast milk or lactation? What about lactose intolerance?
- What is glucose?
- What is glycogen?
- What is pyruvate?
- Do you have to know chemistry to use lactate testing?
- So where does lactate come from?
- Are there other anaerobic processes that produce energy?
- Why is Lactate physiologically important for an athlete?
- What is a threshold? Why measure thresholds?
- What is the anaerobic threshold?
- More on the Wasserman study.
- What is the lactate threshold?
- Are their other thresholds? What are their names?
- What is OBLA?
- What is IAT or the Individual Anaerobic Threshold?
- What is the maximal lactate steady state?
- So the best measure for lactate testing is the one that most say is meaningless? Why is 4 mmol/l the best measure for lactate testing?
- Some say the threshold exists but do not bother measuring it. Who are they?
- What about all those other ways people try to measure the lactate threshold?
- What does one do during a lactate test?
- What type of blood is preferred?
- What are lactate myths?
- Does lactate or lactic acid cause muscle soreness?
- Does lactate cause fatigue?
- Isn't lactate a waste product?
- Isn't lactate only produced when I go fast, above the lactate threshold?
- Doesn't lactate tell me the optimum intensity to exercise at?
- Isn't the anaerobic threshold or lactate threshold the optimum point at which to train?
- Why doesn't training at the anaerobic or lactate threshold work?
- Do sports scientists understand what causes the lactate or anaerobic threshold?
This page will be updated with additional questions and our attempts to answer them. Submit a better answer if you think you can improve on what we have here or if you think you have found a mistake. We want the page to accurately reflect what we believe is correct.
Also send any questions you might have about lactate testing and lactate analyzers and we will try over time to post answers. Some questions we may not be able to answer.